Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Winning by Giving Up

There's an article on WikiHow called, “How to Retire in your 30s.”  It gives a lot of advice on how to live your life in order quit working by your mid 30s and live off your savings for the rest of your life.  It says you will probably have to avoid getting married, work in a high-stress job that you hate, live cheaply while you're amassing your nest egg, and retire to another country where the cost of living is cheaper.  Even then, you won't retire to a life of luxury; it will still have to be a modest life.

The article does a good job of explaining that this path isn't for everyone, and it may not be worth it to sacrifice 15 years of young adulthood for this goal.  As I read through the article, I knew it wasn't worth it to me, which got me to thinking, what would I be willing to sacrifice for my life goals?  For that matter, what are my life goals?


Creating a hierarchy of values
I've discovered that one of the most important things to me is where I live.  So much so that I'm willing to sacrifice my dream job for my dream location.  But even a higher priority is my family.  If I had to choose between a job, location, or family, I'd live anywhere and take any job in order to stay married to my wife.  Other values that I considered are money (as in how much I'd have to make to be satisfied), health (would I take a job where I sacrifice my health?), and honesty (would I do a job that expected me to be dishonest?)  Your list of values will be different than mine, but the question remains, what are you willing to give up in order to achieve your greatest desire?

Using your values in creating a plan
Recognizing what was most important to me was a very important step in creating a plan for my future.   In the past, I thought I'd be willing to move anywhere in the U.S. to work as an academic advisor.  But as I looked at my value system, I realized that I'd rather move to Oregon and take a job in an unrelated field, than get an advising job but give up Oregon.  This limits my range of locations to search, but broadens the job possibilities.  You may completely disagree with my conclusions.  Good.  It all depends on your particular value system.

So what are your most important values?  What are you willing to sacrifice for them?  I'll go into this in more detail in another post, but for now I'd like to know what aspects of your life are important to you.

7 comments:

  1. I realized with the various jobs I had during high school and college that I really disliked working under someone else's ethics. Practices either meant to be disadvantages to the employee or the customer. It was partly from those experiences that I decided to make my own business where if I succeed or fail it was on my own terms. I, and my family, have sacrificed a lot and we are still not where we want to be financially, but we get along. Even with the added headaches of running parts of a business I do not want to (taxes anyone?) these sacrifices have well been worth the peace of mind I have knowing I am dealing honestly with my clients and those who I contract out. But I think you are right. In the end family trumps all for me too. Good luck getting to Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Some things are a lot more important than others and it's good to realize what they are. I also agree with theballoonguy- that to be honest with others and with yourself is the only way to have satisfying, workable relationships with customers or with anyone within your sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Both
    I agree with both of you that treating others equitably and honestly is very important for me. But there are many people out there who are willing to sacrifice honesty for money. It's a very different value system, and one that I don't quite understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that eventually you do win in the end, but it just depends on what you "win" at. I definably agree with this though, I have had many "career" or "life" options, whether one might have given me more money or exercise or popularity, I know that there are some that I would not be able to live without either. One thing that in my mind that is never worth it is the money that you may gain. I have seen the poorest of poor and they are happier than any one might believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tinker Bell
    It's very true. If you want money, it's very likely that you'll get money -- but at what cost?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think many people don't consider their values when on the job hunt. Some may think they want money, but it turns out later on that it's just not worth it.

    I'm glad my husband knows his values and together we recognize we're willing to give up some money to keep what's most valuable to us: living close to our support network (family), having the kids in an excellent school system, and having the freedom to explore where his talents take him.

    The "full-time job" isn't even the major factor. It's a job that is pleasant enough on most days, is comfortable and secure, and allows us to have the really important things for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Kelly
    That's the big one -- a job that allows you to have the really important things, whatever those things happen to be.

    ReplyDelete