Friday, April 16, 2010

The cheapest self-help book you'll ever find

Going on a voyage of self-discovery?  Don't forget the phone book!

In my last post about using the yellow pages to find a job, I said it was mainly used for finding specific companies in a specific geographical location.  Well, there's a way to use the same tools for personal exploration.

As I was browsing through companies on CityOf.com, I found that I skipped over some categories completely while other categories I really got excited about.  For example, while I couldn't gather any enthusiasm for the Battery businesses, I did look into the companies that worked with Aromatherapy.

Do I want to work in the aromatherapy business?  Probably not.  But I obviously felt some draw towards that field.  What was it that drew me in?  Well, I feel my mission in life is to help people, and I like to work with my mind to find unique solutions to problems.  So why don't I want to do this job?  Partially because I don't think it would pay enough, and I want to work with people for more than 5 minutes at a time.

What do I value in a career?  Helping people, using my mind, finding unique solutions, making enough money to support a family.  And I learned that just by looking at one category.  There are something like 580 categories on this website.  Just think of what I could learn about myself on here!


How to use this method
  1. Go to CityOf.com.  Pick a city, any city.  If you have a particular location in mind, great.  If not, just choose somewhere (it won't matter).
  2. Imagine that all it takes to get a job is to choose a company on a list and they will automatically hire you.  The only thing you have to do is pick the company.
  3. Start browsing the business directory.  If you have any interest in a category, open it up.  Scroll through the lists of companies.  Do any of them appeal to you?  Google their name if you want.
  4. Think about what it would be like to work for these companies (if you don't know, think about what you think it would be like to work for them).
  5. Examine your reactions to these businesses.  Why did you open up the category in the first place?  Which companies got your attention, and why?  What is it about these companies that you feel drawn to?  What aspects of your personality would be a good fit for these businesses? What do you think you'd like about the working conditions, the people you'd work with, and the job you'd be doing?  What don't you like about this field, or these specific companies?
  6. What did your reactions to this category demonstrate about you?  Distill your thoughts into non-specific statements (example: I like working with my hands.  I like to help people.  I dislike working in retail.  I want to work normal business hours.  I have to make a lot of money to be satisfied.  My specific career is not that important to me).  Write down these statements.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 until you either run out of categories, start repeating the same statements with nothing new, or you get bored.
  8. Rate these statements.  Which do you feel are the most important?


When you're through, you should have a list of personal beliefs and values.  When thinking about a possible career, you can rate it against this list to see how good of a fit it is.  Viola – no fuss introspection!

So what did you learn about yourself?  Any surprises?

6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea Paco. You really would learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I'm excited to learn more about what I like in a job. Not only would that help me in finding a job, but also in making my current job more palatable. I can make my job closer to my dream job just by changing how I approach it, and finding ways to introduce new aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great website. I'm already getting exciting, now that I see there is a place with all the possibilities listed right on it. This blog is such a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Laura & Tina

    It's amazing what's out there already. I'm just adding my 2 cents worth to the collective intelligence of the net.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good advice in our current economy. I read an article in the New York Times about how some companies are finding that they can hire people who normally wouldn't consider them because their educational level is too high for that job.

    Finding the job of your dreams is probably quite a crap shoot. But finding a job that makes use of your skill set in ways you hadn't thought of before is probably much more likely to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Stephen
    The thing is, if you find a job now, you can always leave it later, and if it is utilizing your skillset, it will still be applicable when you are applying for your dream job in the future.

    I read an article that said that in about a year, there will be so many employees leaving jobs that finding the job of your dreams will be much easier. So take something now, and your dream job may be available soon.

    ReplyDelete