Thursday, April 1, 2010

Don't follow my advice

At least, don't take my word on job hunting just because I have a blog.  And don't follow the advice of something you read in a book just because it's published.  Anyone can set up a blog, and there's no Absolute Truth Test applied to the publishing world.  If something that I or anyone else says doesn't jive with your personal belief system, get a second opinion.  Or a third opinion.  Or a thirtieth opinion.

There are a lot of books on Job Hunting, and they all have a different slant on the subject (if they were all in agreement, why write another one?).  You may resonate with one author and not another.  And if you're looking for a job right now, chances are you don't have a lot of extra cash lying around to spend on books.  So how can you find the perfect one?  Try the library.


I live in a city of 100,000 people.  Yesterday I went to the library to see what they had to help me in the job hunt, and I found a section with 115 books that were checked in (who knows how many were checked out).  Along with the comprehensive approaches, there were also books on interviewing, resume writing, cover letters, networking, career changing, what to do when laid off, books tailored specifically towards women, job hunting for those over 50 or retirees, even a book on job hunting for ex-criminals!

Before you go out knocking doors or mailing resumes, I suggest you look at a few of these references.  Get an idea of what the “experts” say.  You may agree with someone or you may not; if not, find another perspective.  You don't have to read everything, but it can't hurt to get that second opinion.  The only thing it will cost is a trip to the library and a bit of your time.  I grabbed 7 books, and I've already read 3 chapters from the first one I picked up (review coming later).  Once again, don't trust everything you read, and there are specific pitfalls to watch out for, but those will be covered in another post.

So have you checked out your public or school library yet?  How are they at providing books on this topic?

2 comments:

  1. I've found that to be very true. One of the greatest things I learned in college is that you don't have to believe everything that is taught to you. It helps to listen to everything, so you can make as informed an opinion as possible, but just because it comes from an official, or semi-official, source doesn't mean you have to buy into it. Of course you won't really know what works or doesn't work for you until you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I think it really helps to cruise some books and get others' ideas. It can open up a whole new train of thought and action for you. The Library is a great way to go because then you don't have to spend any money and you can quickly find the books that resonate with you.

    ReplyDelete