Saturday, April 17, 2010

Talking to Myself -- An Example

As requested by one of my readers, I am putting up a demonstration of my Conversation Freewrite technique.  I usually write by hand, and I knew I was writing for an audience, so I was a little self-conscious, but you should get an idea of how these usually go for me.  The left indented text is my conscious self, while the tabbed and italicized text is my subconscious speaking.  Feel free to skip over sections of the lengthy text; the technique, not the content, is what's important here.

Okay, Paco, here it goes.
    -Yep, I'm ready.
It feels weird writing for an audience.
    -Yeah, but we've used this method enough that we know it works.  Why don't we get started.  Tell me what's on your mind.
Well, as you obviously already know (considering you're me), I'll be heading to Oregon the week after this, and I want to go over my feelings on the subject.
    -Go on.
Well, it's a little scary for me.
    -Because you're afraid of looking for a job?
Not exactly afraid.  More like nervous.
    -What are you nervous about?
The idea of talking to all these different people.
    -You talk to people all the time.  What's the difference?
I guess it's because it's a new area that I haven't had to deal with before.
    -Do you not like new experiences?
Well, that's a good question.  I think I'm uncomfortable with change.
    -How so?
I'm afraid that I'll say or do the wrong thing, or that I won't know what to do when the time comes.  It's like when we were looking for a new apartment.  I hated calling apartments at first.
    -But then you got over that fear, because you called so many places.
Yeah.  And I think the same thing will happen when I go to Oregon.  The first few days are going to be scary.  But I'm starting to detect a hint of excitement in myself as well.
    -Excitement about what?
Well, I think it has to do with becoming a pro at talking to people.
    -You felt pretty confident about talking with the advisors at BYU after your initial experience.
It's true.  I think I might start enjoying the experience after a while.
    -How long do you think that will take?
I'm thinking maybe after I do each of my categories (friendworking, informational interviewing, and cold calling) at least once, it will get better.
    -I'm sensing that you don't feel exactly great about the cold calling.
Yeah; I don't know if I'll ever really enjoy that part.
    -And why's that?
Because it's mainly about being rejected.  The other two methods will bring forth information, but the cold calling will just be, “Do you have any jobs?” “Nope.”
    -So do you still want to do it?
I think so, because it will be all about quantity of contacts.  Maybe it will lead to something good, just because of the laws of probability.
    -Do you think you'll be able to find something full-time through the cold-calling?
I really don't know.  But I won't know until I start doing it.
    -One more thing – would you prefer to call companies or walk in the front door and ask them?
I think that it would be less-intimidating to call, but it sounds more interesting to go to the place of employment and talk to the front desk.  I would get to see a lot of Eugene that I wouldn't normally see.  Plus, I'm less likely to get the cold shoulder this way, since I'll physically be there.  Besides, I might see something while walking around.
    -Well, Paco, I think this has been a pretty good discussion.
Yeah, me too.  Thanks again for talking to me.
    -No problem.  I'm really enjoying our conversations.
Me, too.  Well, I guess I'll talk to you soon.
    -You can count on it.  Bye!

As usual, I discovered something about myself while doing this activity.  I knew that I was nervous about going to Oregon, but I didn't know I was also excited about it.  This conversation freewrite revealed another layer of my emotions that I didn't know were there.  Once again, I recommend this method.

8 comments:

  1. Hey- I like it! It really works. I like your subconscious too. Maybe we can get together and chat sometime. Great Blog Paco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well- it was certainly illuminating. I found that the best way for me, was to indent the subconscious instead of italicizing it. It went quickly that way and I was able to keep the two voices separate quite easily. I found out some fascinating things about myself. I will definitely do it again and find out more. It was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tina: I actually went back and italicized afterward to make it clearer for the readers. If I were doing this for myself, I would just indent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to do this once back in high school for an assignment and I ended up writing about a bird, I got easily sidetracked but hey it was a nifty story. Its nice because you learn how much imagination you have as a person. This has good potential to help oneself figure out the whys and whats to their own reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for putting up an example. That really helped me understand how I can apply this. The little questions are really good. I'll work on hearing those little questions when they pop up in my own mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Tinkerbell
    The nice thing about this method vs. pure freewriting is that you've got another voice that can tell you to get back on task. Unless the other voice also gets distracted by the bird . . .

    @ Laura
    I'm glad the example helped. I felt a little exposed by putting this up.

    I think I have an advantage because I took a course on introductory counseling, and learned the questioning technique. But the more you do this, the better you'll get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if using different personas might not help you both deal with your nervousness and help you land a job.

    For example, going out as a student who is feeling out different industries and trying to get a handle on the current state of the field might get you in more doors. People love to talk about themselves (I know this from years as a news reporter), and if you show interest in them, they inevitably think you're one fascinating guy.

    You could also go as a magazine writer (on spec) or blogger, researching for an article on cutting edge this or that, or changes in this or that field.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Stephen
    That's a good idea. I'm planning on writing an article for the professional journal in the advising field (an advisor testing out the advice he would give to students), so maybe I should think of myself as doing research.

    ReplyDelete