Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Microcultures

At the international school where I work, I recently noticed an interesting phenomenon.  There are three female friends who don't fit the usual patterns.  Now, normally the students group themselves according to language or level.  For example, either the Koreans hang out with other Koreans, or the low-level English speakers stick together.

Not with these three.  Two are low-level English speakers, one is advanced.  One comes from the Dominican Republic, one from Portugal, and the other from Mali.  Two are in their 20s, one is in her 30s.  Two are Christian, one is Muslim.  There are other Spanish, French, and Portuguese speakers around, so why do these three hang out together?  If you saw them, you might understand.

They are the only Black girls in our school.

Now for some reason, their commonality of skin color and gender has overcome the usual social and language barriers.  Something about the experiences they share draws them together, and it's enough to start a friendship.

Think Small

Over the past couple of years, I've developed the concept of “microcultures.”  We generally talk about cultures and subcultures (like the American culture and the African-American subculture), but working with international students has shown these divisions to not be sufficient.  There needs to be one more level of division.

We all belong to multiple microcultures, and just like cultures and subcultures, each microculture influences us in different ways.  For instance, my WASP background gave me one set of values, while my experience as an ESL teacher gives me another.  I'm a college graduate and tend to associate with other educated people, but at the same time, I lived in Brazil, so I love to hang out with the Brasileiros, educated or not.

There are two teachers at our school that I often talk to.  One is a recently-married White American male who has no kids.  The other is a single Black female from the Bahamas.  Which one do I gravitate towards?  Although my life experience has been very similar to the male's, I feel a deeper kinship with the teacher from the Bahamas.  Why?  Because we are both Gen-Xers who are borderline Millenials.  We both remember G.I. Joe and Transformers as cartoons.  We remember the fall of the Berlin wall.  The other male teacher is about 5 years younger, and it's enough to change the dynamics between us.

What am I?
So which culture do I come from?  A better question is which microcultures.  I'm not just a White American.  I'm also a college graduate, Humanities major, ESL teacher, advisor, middle class, married, Oregonian, Gen-Xer, male, small-town type, mountain unicyclist . . .  All of these have influenced me in different ways, and are part of my personal culture.

What does this have to do with job hunting?  I'll explain that in another post.  For now, just ask yourself, which microcultures do you belong to, and how have these influenced you?

12 comments:

  1. I like this concept of microcultures. I think I've got a pretty big group. Or a whole bunch of small groups. And, as I'm in that sticky place of wanting to change careers, but not knowing exactly where I want to go yet, I'm starting to break into some new microcultures. So I'm kind of the new kid on the block (just had to add that to your Transformers and GI Joe).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is interesting. I could ramble on a lot about this- it is interesting to see how my life is very different than some of the people I spent time with in high school. Our lives have taken us in different directions and so we may be very happy with how our lives are, but would we be as comfortable with each other now after all these years? Hmmm, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really thought of this before, but it's a great topic. I tend to gravitate towards quiet homebodies, like myself, which is probably why I don't expand my range of activities much. I don't invite them out to do things, and they don't invite me out either. We get along great when we're together, but don't do much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A contemporary psychologist named Paul Pederson has published several articles regarding the multiple identities every person holds. He contends that no one is just one person or identity, but that we are all made up of the various (to use your term) microcultures that influence us. In addition, our identities constantly shift in salience as we move along in life, which is why we gravitate to certain people and priorities at different points in time, or different situations. Who’s to say that you wouldn’t gravitate toward the male teacher of your facility if the environment were different? Therefore, I think you’re right on the money with your microculture theory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After pondering what my mircocultures are I could quickly identify some:

    Parents with special needs children
    People/children with Autism
    Christians/spiritual types
    African descent females both light (like me)& dark skin
    Gardeners
    Wacky people
    My generation
    Brainy intellectuals
    Girly girls

    Amazing this makes up my nearest and dearest friends. I never thought of all these as a cultures but you are so right! They all have there own special language (or expressions), clothing and food preferences that go a long with each microculture I interact with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Devine, your list is great! Makes me want to do one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Lia & Jennifer
    That is another area I want to discuss; which microcultures we most strongly identify with changes over time, and we are constantly adding to our microcultures. I may identify with another cultural system later, just like Lia might as well. It's that period of transition that's the hardest.

    Jennifer, thanks for cluing me in to Paul Pederson. I knew there were others who were writing about this phenomenon who had more ethos than me. I use culture instead of identity because it allows me to apply other cultural theories to the situation (since I work with international students, it makes more sense to me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Kristin
    Your life might be different, but you still share that microculture with them. If you met someone in a restaurant 10 years from now that was from your graduating class, it might be enough to strike up a conversation, because those shared experiences helped to shape your lives.

    @ Kelly
    Not doing things together is part of that specific microculture. The Italian culture is very friendly and open; the German culture is more standoffish; the homebody culture doesn't associate much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Devine
    It's amazing what you can see about yourself when you do this. That's a great list! I encourage you to continue your list, and see if you can come up with at least 50 microcultures.

    Because I know you, I can think of a few others. Region of the country, big vs. small town, career field, education level, family background . . . Each one of these will influence the way you think, talk, dress, and who you associate with. I doubt you'd feel you had much in common with a New York City yuppie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going home (where a lot of my friends from high school are) for a visit this summer and I want to get together with some of those friends I haven't seen in years and see what happens. Thanks. I'm going to try this and see what kinds of things are still the same and what differences there are when I actually get to talk to them face to face. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, what kinds of questions did you ask in your interviews?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Anonymous
    I think on Saturday when I have a little more time, I will write an entire post on the topic. It's an excellent question, and deserves a longer answer than I can give here.

    ReplyDelete