Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 6,7, 8 . . .

The End

If you've been following my blog, you may have noticed that I haven't written much lately.  Frankly, Oregon kind've burned me out.  I was putting in 12-hour days or longer, with many of those hours spent in my car.  So by the time I was done, I was really done!

Not to worry.  After two weeks of break from the blog, I'm back.  And there is plenty to talk about.  But first, a wrap-up of my trip.

What I Did
The last few days consisted of me calling every company on my “cold-call” list, and having everyone say they aren't hiring at the moment.  Not a big surprise with the 10% unemployment rate, but it didn't take long, so no big loss.

I also had a number of job applications to fill out.  Those take a bit of time and had to be in by the end of the week, so I spent the majority of my days working on those.

Additionally, I met with another friend, and updated him on my job hunt.  Who knows if it will lead to anything, but you never know.  Plus, it was good to see him again.

And finally, I went to the Department of  Workforce Services and met with one of the career advisors there.  As a professional in a related field, I was interested in what she had to say.  It would be something to look into as an alternate to working in higher education.  From our conversation, it looks like I'm on the right track; I just have to keep with it.

What I Learned
This is just a quick wrap-up of my journey.  Stay tuned tomorrow for my discussion of what I learned on this trip!


How it went
Interviews – 2
Cold Calls – Around 20
Friend Reunions – 1
Mood – Recovering

4 comments:

  1. It's good to have you back, and I'm looking forward to what insight you may have for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, after all this work, did you come up with a 30-second intro for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lia -- I did come up with a 30-second interview. I will be posting it, as well as a few other answers to questions, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. This whole process is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete