Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What are my motivations for blogging?

I have my own reasons for creating this blog. One of the most important is that I really do want to help people. I'm going into academic advising because I know I can make a difference in people's lives. I've learned so many things in the past year and a half, and I plan to spend the rest of my career sharing that knowledge with others. I figure I might as well get started now, even if I don't have a full-time job advising at the moment.


Which leads me to the second reason. Creating this blog is part of the Paco Master Plan (more on that later). I've been unofficially advising my students for the past 6 years, but I don't have much physical evidence to show for it. This blog gives me a chance to demonstrate to any advising offices out there that I do have the knowledge and background necessary to be an effective advisor. After I have a suitable number of articles written, I plan to network with other advising blogs, especially with ones in the Pacific Northwest. If this blog gets to the right people, they may approach me when hiring time comes around. If they don't, I still have my first reason for blogging, which is still most important.


My third reason deals with the Paco Master Plan as well. It can be easy to dream about the future, but not specify exactly how or when I will accomplish my goals. Blogs are an interesting goal-setting device. By putting my exact plans and dates into my blog, it's as if the entire world is holding me accountable. I know that this is not exactly true, that most people could care less whether I do or don't follow through with my goals, but it is a powerful psychological motivator. How many personal weight-loss blogs are there? Plenty. Because people feel that others are watching. If it works for them, I can definitely try it myself.


And the last reason is purely personal. I want a record of this period of my life. I'm composing each of my messages offline and saving them, so that some day in the future, I'll be able to look back and see who I was. This may be of interest to me and to my family, and if anyone else cares, great. If not, I've still got it for myself.


Anyway, that's why I've decided to dedicate part of my time to blogging. Hey, I can think of a lot of other less-effective ways to spend my time!

2 comments:

  1. I have seen your advising skills in action and it is remarkable how you can set people at ease and help them naturally bring forth their goals and desires. Your confidence in them gives them confidence in themselves and gives them courage to make their own decisions and take ownership of their lives. You have the knowledge and skills to help them navigate the maze and get the information and support they need to realize their educational desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I hope that this comes across in the blog, but I would love to get the chance to do it full-time face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete